At Orillia Soldiers’ Memorial Hospital (OSMH) we respect the principles of personal health information and are accountable for compliance with privacy principles.
Privacy at Soldiers’
Collection of Information
We may collect, use and disclose your personal health information to:
- treat and care for you;
- get payment for your treatment and care (from OHIP, WSIB, your private insurer or others);
- plan, administer and manage our internal operations;
- conduct risk management activities;
- conduct quality improvement activities such as sending patient satisfaction surverys;
- support fundraising for Orillia Soldiers’ Memorial Hospital Foundation;
- teach, conduct research, compile statistics;
- comply with legal and regulatory requirements; and
- fulfill other purposes permitted or required by law.
You may access and request correction of your personal health records, or withdraw your consent (subject to legal exceptions) for some of the above uses and disclosures by contacting our Privacy Officer.
Share & Disclose
We share and disclose your personal health information with implied consent to:
- Other physicians and medical facilities that are part of your care (e.g. family physicians, specialist)
- Hospitals in our partnership including Muskoka Algonquin Healthcare, South Bruce Grey Health Centre, Grey Bruce Health Services, Hanover and District Hospital, Almonte General Hosptial
Shared electronic systems such as:
- Electronic Children’s Health Network (ECHN)
- GTA West Diagnostic Imaging Repository (DI-r)
- Ontario Laboratories Information Systems (OLIS)
Orillia Soldiers’ Memorial Hospital may use a patient’s name and address for the purpose of fundraising activities. If you wish to remove your name from our fundraising contact list, please inform the clerk at time of registration or contact the Foundation by telephone or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take steps to protect your personal health information from theft, loss and unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure and disposal. We conduct audits and complete investigations to monitor and manage our privacy compliance.
We take steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us protects your privacy and only uses your personal health information for the purpose for which it was collected.
Comments or Complaints
If you would like to make a comment or raise a concern you may have with our practices, you may contact us at (705) 325-2201 ext. 3626, or mail us at:
Orillia Soldiers’ Memorial Hospital
170 Colborne Street West
Orillia ON L3V 2Z3
You have the right to complain to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario if you think we have violated your rights. The Commissioner can be reached by phone or mail:
Ontario’s Information and Privacy Commissioner
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto, Ontario M4W 1A8
Requesting Copies of Patient Records
Healthcare professionals involved in your care will have access to your patient records. Anyone else, unless governed by the law, will require the patient’s or patient’s legal representative’s consent.
Key information about your hospital stay will also be communicated to your family physician to support the care that your physician will provide to you. If you do not have a family physician, you can request a copy of your patient record.
For more information about our privacy protection practices, or to raise a concern you have with our practices, contact:
170 Colborne Street West
Orillia, ON L3V 2Z3