Welcome to Soldiers' / Health Records

Requesting health records


Everyone treated at our hospital has a health record.  These records contain documents such as reports from care providers, test results, treatments, and pharmacy information.  Health records can be paper based, electronically generated or a combination of both.


You or your authorized representative can request access to or copies of your health record.


How do you protect my privacy?

All of your records are kept strictly confidential. Protecting your privacy is our priority. Visit the Your Privacy page to learn more.


How do I access health records?

To access patient information we require valid consent allowing us to release information.  (See "Authorization" below). 


Request Options:

  • Specified Reports – Specific reports/documents (e.g., Clinic Note, MRI Report, Emergency Report, etc.)
  • Summary of Record - This includes discharge summaries, clinic notes, consults, operative reports, MRI and CT Scan reports, major test results, and other specified test results
  • Complete Health Record - A complete copy of all reports compiled in a patient’s personal health record
  • Diagnostic Imaging – If you require diagnostic images (x-rays, CT, etc.) on disc, please contact the Diagnostic Imaging department at 705-325-2201 ext. 3938.  The Health Records Department provides diagnostic imaging reports only.


We require the following to be included as part of the authorization:

  • Patient's name, date of birth, Health Card Number if applicable
  • Patient ID or MRN (Medical Record Number) if known
  • A detailed description of what is requested (see "Request Options" above)
  • The authorization must be fully completed, dated, signed and signature witnessed
  • Consent must be signed on /after the treatment date.

If the patient is 16 years of age or older, the authorization must be signed by the patient.  Parental consent is required if the child is less than 16 years of age and not capable of consenting; otherwise, the child can consent to disclosing their information.  If there is a conflict between the child and the parent, the capable child’s decision prevails with respect to consent.


Click here for the Access Form (for patients who wish to access their health record).


If you are sending Patient Health Records to another Institution or Health Care Provider, the request must include:

  • The name and address of the Institution/Health Care Provider to whom the information is to be sent
  • A detailed description of what is requested
  • Please advise if the information is required for a certain date.  Advance notice is greatly appreciated.

To consent to have your medical records forwarded to a physician, you may fill out the Authorization form and mail or fax to Health Records.  Click here for the Authorization form.


If you require further information, please direct all inquiries to the Release of Information office:


Orillia Soldiers' Memorial Hospital

Attn: Health Records Release of Information

170 Colborne Street West

Orillia, ON L3V 2Z3


Tel.: 705-325-2201 ext. 3519

Fax: 705-325-8652


Is there a fee?

There is no charge to send copies of a Health Record to another Physician or Health Care Provider under Circle of Care.


For items requested by Parent/Patient/SDM/Lawyers/Insurance/Consulting Firms/Rehab, a $30.00 processing fee will apply to all requests. This includes the first 20 pages of requested records.  An additional charge of .25¢ or .50¢ will apply for pages exceeding 20.  See the OSMH Fee Schedule for full details.


Pre-payment of fee is required prior to processing.  Please make cheques payable to Orillia Soldiers' Memorial Hospital, or provide a contact telephone number to call for credit card payment.


When can I expect a response?

All requests will be processed within 30 days in accordance with the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).


Contact us

If you would like to make a comment or raise a concern you may have with our practices, you may contact our Director, Health Records, Registration and Privacy at 705-325-2201 ext. 3626.


You have the right to complain to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario if you think we have violated your rights. The Commissioner can be reached by calling 1-800-387-0073, or via mail at:


Ontario’s Information and Privacy Commissioner

2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400

Toronto, Ontario M4W 1A8

Compassion Accountability Respect Engagement
© 2008 All Rights Reserved to Orillia Soldiers' Memorial Hospital.
Website designed by Integra Graphic Design Studio Inc. Powered by pavliks.com